Skip to main content

When you disappoint people & your car gets totaled.

Marty the Prius is dead. This is how that makes me feel:


Originally, I thought his death would be temporary and that he would be resurrected after going to the doctor... but after talking to the dealership today, I found out Marty needs $10,000+ worth of work done in order to revive him. So unless the insurance guy decides he's worth fixing, Marty is no more.

Here are some of the resuscitation attempts on Marty's life.



I have really great friends that spent a lot of time trying to make him better, but in the end, the damage to his underneath was too great and Marty had to take a ride on the towtruck of flames. 


Notice the blood dripping out of Marty as he tries to hold on... :(


So how did Marty die? To be honest I don't really know... but I have chosen to blame the city of Belton. On my way back from Austin last Saturday night Marty ran over something that shouldn't have been in the road. Obviously. And while I have no clue what it could have been, I am so thankful that we didn't lose control of Marty and hit something. It could have been so so much worse. The Lord definitely protected us.

Marty was going to die eventually. And even though he only lasted me 6 months, they were a rockin' 6 months full of great gas mileage. I'm thankful to be reminded of 1 John 2:16-17. Everything of this world will pass away. Only Jesus remains.

For all that is in the world- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life-is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. 1 John 2:16-17.

A BIG thank you to the wonderful people that have been driving me around all week. I promise to pay you back in kindness and free coffee. (:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

On a different note:

I'm a people pleaser. It's in my nature. I like you. Genuinely. I really do. And I want you to like me. So much so that chances are I'll go out of my way to give you a reason to like me.

There are very very few people I dislike. I know that at the end of the day there are going to be people that dislike me, but I try ridiculously hard not to give them a reason to.

A lot of conversations I've had recently have gone a lot like this:

Me: Hey! Welcome to Starbucks!
Friend/Customer: Hey! How are you??
Me: I'm really good! You?
Friend/Customer: Good. Didn't you graduate in December?
Me: Yes ma'am!
Friend/Customer: Then why are you here?
Me: (awkwardly)... Well I work here...

Ouch.

I know these people mean well. I'm not upset with them. However, it's made the pressure of adult life become more real to me. Adult life. Gross.

I've never continuously received pressure from other people about how I should or shouldn't live my life. I suppose that's a blessing and a curse. I've always had to motivate myself and for the most part, I've always done what I needed to do. Now that i'm not doing what you theoretically "should be doing" after you graduate college, I've started to receive some of that pressure. It's scary.

The Lord has been so good to provide peace for me. While I know that working part time as a social worker and a starbucks barista isn't what I'm "supposed to be doing", I know it's only temporary and I'm happy and thankful for these two opportunities. I really really love my jobs. (:

It's been a great first week back at Starbs. And of course I had to take a selfie to commemorate the occasion. Happy Tuesday!


Here's one more to shoutout to Marty. I'm still crossing my fingers that the insurance guy decides to save you. Otherwise, RIP Marty. You were a good one. 





Comments

  1. Sorry about Marty. I know car issues are never fun. :(

    I know a lady who graduated from law school, got a job as a lawyer, and still works at Starbucks. She said it's the best job ever!

    I also know the pain of people trying to tell you how you should or shouldn't be living your life. I hate it. I try to pretend it doesn't bother me, but I sometimes I feel like punching them. I just keep my sights set on what I know is best. Keep doing what you feel is right, and show them why your way, which is really God's way, is the best way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the best job. I love getting paid to talk to people all day. (:

      And it's nice to know you can relate! It would be so much harder if I weren't sure that I'm where the Lord wants me right now. I think his peace is the only thing keeping me from punching anyone. haha. Thanks for the encouragement Kristina! (:

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When God Destroys Your White Picket Fence Plan...

I'm sitting at Starbucks drinking a salted caramel mocha, reading Philippians and watching the rain trickle down the perfectly large windows. Today is my favorite kind of day and although I have a million things to do, none of them seem quite as important as taking time out of my day to be at peace.  But i'm not quite at peace. At least, not at peace in the way I thought I would be.  Allow me to explain. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have told you with overwhelming excitement that after I graduate college in December I will be working as a Social Worker. Although I'm usually the type to be extremely indecisive, this plan sort of fell into my lap and it seemed perfect and beautiful and I had no reason at all to question it. But who am I trying to kid here...? If you know me at all you know that I am still indecisive and I never make a decision without considering at least 7 other options. So naturally, just as I was starting to feel comfortable w

I'm donating a kidney to celebrate recovering from an eating disorder.

I remember the first time I decided I was fat. I was sitting in theater class in 9th grade and one of my classmates told me to hold my arm out in front of my body. When I did, they hit the skin under my upper arm and laughed as they watched it jiggle. In that moment, I gained 50 pounds. That 5'3 110 pound high school freshman died, and a hypersensitive and self conscious version of myself peaked its evil head for the first time. Although that was the moment my eating disorder (which I'll call Ed) took over, it wasn't the only thing that sparked an unhealthy view of myself. Years of comparison, losing a relationship with my father, and the decision to define my worth in the words of other people, collectively lead me to believe that I was fat, unloved, and that the worldly standards of beauty defined me. For the next 8+ years, Ed defined me. Above my relationships with people, and above my relationship with the Lord, Ed was most important thing in my life. When I firs

How donating my kidney saved my life.

For good news to be good, it has to invade dark places." - Matt Chandler August 9th, 2016.  As they wheeled me through the double doors and into the operating room, I remember pure joy radiating throughout my body. I was not nervous, I was not afraid. The Lord had given me a peace beyond understanding and I smiled as the anesthesia took a toll on me and I drifted to sleep. Some hours later. My eyes pop open and I look around. The nurse pushes something into my IV that she says will help with the pain, but I don't feel any pain. I'm in a big open room with lots of medical supplies. I look to the right and I see a man in bed. And then I remember. I use every ounce of strength in me to mutter the question, "does he have my kidney?". The nurse smiles and says "yes" as my eyelids fall heavy and the dilaudid sets in. I wake up again. My mom is in the room. I have no idea what she's saying to me because all I can think about is the man that ha