Skip to main content

The gospel is more important than your comfort.

May 31st is in 88 days.

May 31st is the day my lease ends & the day I officially don't have a house anymore. I know that people's leases end all of the time & really it's nothing out of the ordinary. Except it is. Because I have absolutely no life plans after that. 

None. Zero. Zilch.

I've been thinking a lot about the concept of "home" recently. What makes up a home? Is it people? A location? A bed? How long do you have to live somewhere before it becomes your home?

When I think about "home", I think of two things.

1. Reliant K's song, "I'm taking you with me". 

If home is where the heart is
Then my home is where you are 
It's getting oh so hard
To spend these days
Without my heart.


(Completely irrelevant.)

 & 2. Jesus had no home. 

"And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." -Matthew 8:20.

As comforting of a thought that is, doesn't that make you wonder, why? 

Why did Jesus not have a home? Why did the people in his hometown reject him? (Mark 6:4)

A few weeks ago at church we were talking about missions. Some of the people in my Bible Study mentioned that they enjoyed short term missions because it gave them a chance to be bold and share the gospel in a way they couldn't share it here in the States.

That really rubbed me the wrong way. If you aren't sharing the gospel radically here, why would you ever pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to do it somewhere else? 

But we do that. I've done it. In our hometown we are scared of rejection. We are scared to be bold about our faith because it can make us feel uncomfortable or isolated. When we go on a short term trip, we can be radical and bold and we "feel" the Holy Spirit so much more.

But Jesus is here. In America. In Texas.

Jesus was bold and radical everywhere. He was isolated and rejected and had nowhere to lay his head. 

Sometimes you won't feel accepted. Who cares? The gospel is more important than your comfort. 

At some point, every place becomes your home. 

Comments

  1. "The gospel is more important than your comfort. " amen.... Be sure to come to Jesus Jam Texas.. You will find a lot of sold out believers there. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When God Destroys Your White Picket Fence Plan...

I'm sitting at Starbucks drinking a salted caramel mocha, reading Philippians and watching the rain trickle down the perfectly large windows. Today is my favorite kind of day and although I have a million things to do, none of them seem quite as important as taking time out of my day to be at peace.  But i'm not quite at peace. At least, not at peace in the way I thought I would be.  Allow me to explain. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have told you with overwhelming excitement that after I graduate college in December I will be working as a Social Worker. Although I'm usually the type to be extremely indecisive, this plan sort of fell into my lap and it seemed perfect and beautiful and I had no reason at all to question it. But who am I trying to kid here...? If you know me at all you know that I am still indecisive and I never make a decision without considering at least 7 other options. So naturally, just as I was starting to feel comfortable w

How donating my kidney saved my life.

For good news to be good, it has to invade dark places." - Matt Chandler August 9th, 2016.  As they wheeled me through the double doors and into the operating room, I remember pure joy radiating throughout my body. I was not nervous, I was not afraid. The Lord had given me a peace beyond understanding and I smiled as the anesthesia took a toll on me and I drifted to sleep. Some hours later. My eyes pop open and I look around. The nurse pushes something into my IV that she says will help with the pain, but I don't feel any pain. I'm in a big open room with lots of medical supplies. I look to the right and I see a man in bed. And then I remember. I use every ounce of strength in me to mutter the question, "does he have my kidney?". The nurse smiles and says "yes" as my eyelids fall heavy and the dilaudid sets in. I wake up again. My mom is in the room. I have no idea what she's saying to me because all I can think about is the man that ha

I'm donating a kidney to celebrate recovering from an eating disorder.

I remember the first time I decided I was fat. I was sitting in theater class in 9th grade and one of my classmates told me to hold my arm out in front of my body. When I did, they hit the skin under my upper arm and laughed as they watched it jiggle. In that moment, I gained 50 pounds. That 5'3 110 pound high school freshman died, and a hypersensitive and self conscious version of myself peaked its evil head for the first time. Although that was the moment my eating disorder (which I'll call Ed) took over, it wasn't the only thing that sparked an unhealthy view of myself. Years of comparison, losing a relationship with my father, and the decision to define my worth in the words of other people, collectively lead me to believe that I was fat, unloved, and that the worldly standards of beauty defined me. For the next 8+ years, Ed defined me. Above my relationships with people, and above my relationship with the Lord, Ed was most important thing in my life. When I firs