Skip to main content

My New Life.

It's only been a week and a half, but I feel like i've been here for months. I'm not sure how i'm supposed to be feeling, what I'm supposed to be thinking about the next few months, or what I'm supposed to be doing with my free time. From reading some of my friends' blogs, I can tell that people are all over the place. They say there are multiple stages one goes through in adapting to a culture: honeymoon faze, denial, anger, acceptance... and maybe a few more. From what I can tell, people are either feeling lonely, or currently loving every moment of it.
I guess for me, I'm in the honeymoon stage. To be honest, I feel like this faze will last for a while. I love it. The people, the place, the walking everywhere, the language, the daily flooding of rain, most of the food, and the ability to learn something completely different from my culture every day. Other than the constant whistling from guys that thing gringos are easy and the very massive spiders i've found in my bedroom, I don't really have any complaints.
I'm scared for the moment when the things I am loving turn into things that make me miss home. Realistically I'll probably get tired of have gallo pinto (rice with beans) for breakfast, and I'm sure I'm going to get frustrated with my inability to have a deep and intellectual conversation in Spanish, but I really really hope I never grow weary of learning to live, love, and do life in this culture.
I can already see the hand of God on my life even in the short time i've been here. As most of you know, I'm horrible at directions, but despite wandering around CR at all hours of the day, I have remained safe. When our car broke down in the middle of mountains and we were stranded for 3 hours, God provided protection. When the earthquake hit, I hardly felt it because I was running. I have been blessed with a family that pursues Jesus and a sister that desires to get to know me, show me the Costa Rican culture, and take me out to hang out with her friends. I've also been blessed with some wonderful new friends that I am loving doing life with. In every moment of fear, insecurity, and potential loneliness, God has provided me with a deep and overwhelming feeling of peace. He has continued to remind me of Philippians 4:19.


And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Things are crazy, busy, difficult, and beautiful. I am not ignorant to the fact that I will face moments of loneliness and homesickness, however I feel confident that God has called me to be here and I am committed to giving it everything I have.

Other highlights: COSTA RICA SOCCER GAME! Pictures to come (:
-Baking with my fam!

Comments

  1. Its awesome to hear that you are enjoying it so much. God is good and directs us to where we are to show us something. I pray God cintinues to take you on that journey to show you the big picture He has for you. Be blessed and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When God Destroys Your White Picket Fence Plan...

I'm sitting at Starbucks drinking a salted caramel mocha, reading Philippians and watching the rain trickle down the perfectly large windows. Today is my favorite kind of day and although I have a million things to do, none of them seem quite as important as taking time out of my day to be at peace.  But i'm not quite at peace. At least, not at peace in the way I thought I would be.  Allow me to explain. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have told you with overwhelming excitement that after I graduate college in December I will be working as a Social Worker. Although I'm usually the type to be extremely indecisive, this plan sort of fell into my lap and it seemed perfect and beautiful and I had no reason at all to question it. But who am I trying to kid here...? If you know me at all you know that I am still indecisive and I never make a decision without considering at least 7 other options. So naturally, just as I was starting to feel comfortable w

I'm donating a kidney to celebrate recovering from an eating disorder.

I remember the first time I decided I was fat. I was sitting in theater class in 9th grade and one of my classmates told me to hold my arm out in front of my body. When I did, they hit the skin under my upper arm and laughed as they watched it jiggle. In that moment, I gained 50 pounds. That 5'3 110 pound high school freshman died, and a hypersensitive and self conscious version of myself peaked its evil head for the first time. Although that was the moment my eating disorder (which I'll call Ed) took over, it wasn't the only thing that sparked an unhealthy view of myself. Years of comparison, losing a relationship with my father, and the decision to define my worth in the words of other people, collectively lead me to believe that I was fat, unloved, and that the worldly standards of beauty defined me. For the next 8+ years, Ed defined me. Above my relationships with people, and above my relationship with the Lord, Ed was most important thing in my life. When I firs

How donating my kidney saved my life.

For good news to be good, it has to invade dark places." - Matt Chandler August 9th, 2016.  As they wheeled me through the double doors and into the operating room, I remember pure joy radiating throughout my body. I was not nervous, I was not afraid. The Lord had given me a peace beyond understanding and I smiled as the anesthesia took a toll on me and I drifted to sleep. Some hours later. My eyes pop open and I look around. The nurse pushes something into my IV that she says will help with the pain, but I don't feel any pain. I'm in a big open room with lots of medical supplies. I look to the right and I see a man in bed. And then I remember. I use every ounce of strength in me to mutter the question, "does he have my kidney?". The nurse smiles and says "yes" as my eyelids fall heavy and the dilaudid sets in. I wake up again. My mom is in the room. I have no idea what she's saying to me because all I can think about is the man that ha