Skip to main content

A night on the streets of San José.

          7pm. Dark outside. I head over to my good friend and neighbor Marianne’s house and we begin walking with our friend Matt to the JUCUM headquarters. San Jo is arguably the most dangerous city in the country. Typically, I shy away from the idea of walking the streets after dark at 6pm. We load up in a van with 7 other people and head to big, dangerous city. I don’t know what to expect. I don’t know how to prepare. I remember the words from John 8:7 as I pray that God will show me how to love these people. “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” They are broken just like me, I remind myself. They just don’t have the hope of Jesus.
The van stops and a few people get out and start talking to some of the women. They’ve been doing this a while and have formed relationships with them. They hand the girls some hot coffee and cookies and re-enter the van. My nerves calm a little just in time for the van to stop again. It’s my turn. It’s hard to distinguish if I approach 3 women, or 3 transvestites. I’m told to talk to them how they dress. 3 women. The street we are on is busy and I’m not quite sure what to say. I hand them cookies and some iced tea, but I have a hard time understanding them. My heart drops as we get back in the car. I decide my Spanish knowledge isn’t prepared for this. The van stops a few more times as I sink back in my seat. I’m saddened by the knowledge that I can’t really help these women. I ask God to help me to be able to listen and understand the next person I talk to.
I get out of the van with a 20something year old Nicole and approach a 35ish year old woman. Maritza. She takes cookies and coffee with four packets of sugar and three packets of cream. She stirs her coffee for what seems like hours as I try to think of how to make small talk. Then, regardless of the fact that we’ve never met her, she begins to tell us the story of her life. Maritza tells us how she travelled from Nicaragua with her two daughters to help her sick mother and find honest and good work. She talks about the different jobs she’s had and how slowly they each fell through. She talks about the man she met on the streets and ended up marrying so she could have a place to stay. She talks about the way she’s tried time and time again to provide for her family and how they live on next to nothing. She talks about the Rahab ministry and how they have helped her work for her mani/pedi certification that she will finally receive this week. I hold back tears as Maritza ends her story with, “Yo hago esto como un sacrificio para mis hijas” (I do this as a sacrifice for my daughters).  As I get back in the van, I remember my prayer to understand the words of the next woman I talk to and I thank my gracious and powerful God.
It’s crazy how one night can change your heart. You think to yourself, “there’s no way there could ever be a good reason to prostitute yourself” and then you meet a mother who looks at you and says, “Yo hago esto como un sacrificio para mis hijos”. There she was giving up everything-everything she had-as a sacrifice for her girls. I wish I could have spent the whole night in “the most dangerous city in Costa Rica” and listened to the cries of these beautiful women. They just need to be heard. They just need to be loved.



This is the biggest brothel in San José. Prostitution is legal for women as long as they don't have a pimp. On friday nights, the JUCUM ministry gathers outside and prays for the women. Most of these women are slaves to prostitution. If they try to escape, their lives are endangered.
This is my group! We graduated from our spanish class! 84 hours of tutoring!

 This is my really great friend Marianne. (:
 Pura Vida.
 Costa Rica's used clothing stores are called "Ropa Americano". Ironic... 
 I went with Mama Rosy to the fruit and veggie market on Saturday morning. It was really interesting!

I'm headed to Nicaragua in the morning at 6am for the next week and a half. We're going to be in the capital for a few days and then we're going to be living with host families for a week. I won't have internet until I get back. Thanks for your prayers!  

If you get the urge to make my week... (:

Ashley Settles
Sabanilla, Montes de Oca
San José, COSTA RICA
Latin American Studies Program Apdo. 54-2070

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God Destroys Your White Picket Fence Plan...

I'm sitting at Starbucks drinking a salted caramel mocha, reading Philippians and watching the rain trickle down the perfectly large windows. Today is my favorite kind of day and although I have a million things to do, none of them seem quite as important as taking time out of my day to be at peace.  But i'm not quite at peace. At least, not at peace in the way I thought I would be.  Allow me to explain. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have told you with overwhelming excitement that after I graduate college in December I will be working as a Social Worker. Although I'm usually the type to be extremely indecisive, this plan sort of fell into my lap and it seemed perfect and beautiful and I had no reason at all to question it. But who am I trying to kid here...? If you know me at all you know that I am still indecisive and I never make a decision without considering at least 7 other options. So naturally, just as I was starting to feel comfortable w

I'm donating a kidney to celebrate recovering from an eating disorder.

I remember the first time I decided I was fat. I was sitting in theater class in 9th grade and one of my classmates told me to hold my arm out in front of my body. When I did, they hit the skin under my upper arm and laughed as they watched it jiggle. In that moment, I gained 50 pounds. That 5'3 110 pound high school freshman died, and a hypersensitive and self conscious version of myself peaked its evil head for the first time. Although that was the moment my eating disorder (which I'll call Ed) took over, it wasn't the only thing that sparked an unhealthy view of myself. Years of comparison, losing a relationship with my father, and the decision to define my worth in the words of other people, collectively lead me to believe that I was fat, unloved, and that the worldly standards of beauty defined me. For the next 8+ years, Ed defined me. Above my relationships with people, and above my relationship with the Lord, Ed was most important thing in my life. When I firs

How donating my kidney saved my life.

For good news to be good, it has to invade dark places." - Matt Chandler August 9th, 2016.  As they wheeled me through the double doors and into the operating room, I remember pure joy radiating throughout my body. I was not nervous, I was not afraid. The Lord had given me a peace beyond understanding and I smiled as the anesthesia took a toll on me and I drifted to sleep. Some hours later. My eyes pop open and I look around. The nurse pushes something into my IV that she says will help with the pain, but I don't feel any pain. I'm in a big open room with lots of medical supplies. I look to the right and I see a man in bed. And then I remember. I use every ounce of strength in me to mutter the question, "does he have my kidney?". The nurse smiles and says "yes" as my eyelids fall heavy and the dilaudid sets in. I wake up again. My mom is in the room. I have no idea what she's saying to me because all I can think about is the man that ha