Skip to main content

Nicaragua. 10/15-10/25


This is going to be a weird post. A lot of emotions, and not my typical happy go lucky Costa Rica post.

Nicaragua.


10/15/12 - Bus Ride There.

Eight hour car rides provoke a lot of thinking in my life. As I looked out the window at the luscious blue sky, I started to wonder what got me here. But for me, that isn't a difficult question to answer. No, I remember the turning point, the moment, the person that is indirectly responsible for bringing me here.
It started with a boy. Hah, doesn't it always? 9th grade. Best friend. Spencer Taylor.
There are people in your life that challenge you. People that make you see things at more than face value and people that help you to see life in a new and beautiful way.
I can't imagine the thought process of knowing you are dying. Fighting it. Struggling with it. Trying to change it. -all the while knowing that little by little there was something inside you. Killing you slowly.
I don't know how you did it. I don't know how every day you got out of bed and fought to live a normal life.
My biggest regret in life is that I didn't share Jesus with you. Oftentimes people claim to live a life with no regrets, but how can you not regret not sharing your Savior with your dying best friend? I couldn't have saved you. This I know. It's still however, a regret I will never live without.
After you died I hated myself and I hated God. Nobody knew what to say to me and so nobody did or said anything at all. It was the biggest time of hurt that I have experienced and I can still recall those feelings with ease.
I still think about you today. I still cry and remember. But as I look back, I'm amazed at how you changed my life. How in the midst of a tragic and painful death, God used you to change the course of my life in a way I never imagined.
Because of you, I see the urgency of the gospel in a way most people cannot. I see life as more than just school and work, but as an opportunity to love a soul for a time that's short and sweet.
So Spence, as I lie in bed on my first night in Nicaragua, my heart aches knowing you will never know how you changed my life. I wish just for one more day we could be best friends. I have something beautiful and holy to share with you. His name is Jesus. I miss you Spencer. You're death brought me life. RIP.

10/17/12 - Trash dump in Nicaragua. Home to hundreds.

Fact. There are people who literally live in a trash dumb and recycle trash to sell for a living. It's a hard, burdening fact to know. It's hard to imagine and hard to picture what that would look like.
So what happens when you stop at one and get out to really see how these people live? How are you supposed to feel? How are you supposed to eat or buy anything after you hug children starving slowly? How do you leave such a place, a people, children in the exact same state in which you found them in and not walk away broken hearted? I don't think it's possible to see the things I saw today and not be changed.

10/20/12
I'm journaling right now because I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing. That idea has definitely been one of the themes so far on this Nicaraguan family stay. I woke up monday morning at 5:30am to begin my journey here. Four buses and almost 9 hours later I found myself in the Teotecacinte Pueblo just a 10 minute walk from the Honduran border. I live in a house with my mom Juanita, her son Miguel, his wife Kenía, their 2 month old precious baby Karen, and my 20 year old cousin Diana.
It's absolutely beautiful out here. I'm talking about one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen. There are mountains outlining both the sunrise and the sunset and the weather is gorgeous. It's Sunday morning and I'm sitting outside on a hammock listening to my sister in law and mom argue about the probability of this Nicaraguan boy Katriel and I working out... They just asked me if I had a phone number in Costa Rica... Yesterday morning I went to learn to milk cows with my cousin and him. Apparently he has 30 cows and milks them every morning. I was absolutely horrible at it and it gave me hand cramps.. haha. but then I tried some of the milk with some sort of corn grain in it... There's nothing quite like warm cow milk...
            Anyways, I can't quite figure out who this boy is and why he knows my family so well,  but he comes around every day for a couple of hours and I try to be culturally appropriate and make small talk with him. He almost never asks questions-only answers them, sooooo I thought he hated me... I suppose that was a culture mistake on my part. Apparently I was very wrong. I'm not quite sure, but I think yesterday he asked me to come to his house... My program professors also stopped by to check on me yesterday and there was definitely talk of my "novio"... That was sure news to me! haha Nicaraguan love... oh gracious.
So, on another note, we have church every night from 6-8 and on Sundays in the morning as well. It consists of an hour and a half-or more, of singing and instrument playing as well as a bit of preaching. It's the most horribly sounding and beautiful worship ever. Last night in the middle of church we had the electricity go off. The congregation of about 40 people didn't skip a beat, but kept on loudly singing praises to God. Talk about priorities and authentic faith. I absolutely love these people.

10/26/12
Nicaragua. Gosh. I'm not quite sure how to express my trip in words. I didn't want to come back to Costa Rica. I laid in bed the night before for hours trying to think of ways to stay. I cried when I left. A lot. 
When it comes down to it, I prefer the outhouse to the western toilet, the tarp shower to the tile one, plucking feathers out of a chicken I just saw die to buying frozen chicken breasts, milking cows to drinking store-bought milk, and sitting around all day to running around accomplishing everything. See, the Nicaraguan people taught me relationships. They taught me that it isn't about going and doing, but being and loving. They taught me that Jesus is truly all you need and that things of this world often make faith more difficult. They taught me how to truly live in the world and not of it. 
While Nicaragua is everything the States is not, I think I prefer it. Though it seems at first that they have nothing, in reality they have everything. They didn't just talk and sing about their faith, they were living, breathing examples of Jesus Christ-and I strive to be like them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God Destroys Your White Picket Fence Plan...

I'm sitting at Starbucks drinking a salted caramel mocha, reading Philippians and watching the rain trickle down the perfectly large windows. Today is my favorite kind of day and although I have a million things to do, none of them seem quite as important as taking time out of my day to be at peace.  But i'm not quite at peace. At least, not at peace in the way I thought I would be.  Allow me to explain. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have told you with overwhelming excitement that after I graduate college in December I will be working as a Social Worker. Although I'm usually the type to be extremely indecisive, this plan sort of fell into my lap and it seemed perfect and beautiful and I had no reason at all to question it. But who am I trying to kid here...? If you know me at all you know that I am still indecisive and I never make a decision without considering at least 7 other options. So naturally, just as I was starting to feel comfortable w

I'm donating a kidney to celebrate recovering from an eating disorder.

I remember the first time I decided I was fat. I was sitting in theater class in 9th grade and one of my classmates told me to hold my arm out in front of my body. When I did, they hit the skin under my upper arm and laughed as they watched it jiggle. In that moment, I gained 50 pounds. That 5'3 110 pound high school freshman died, and a hypersensitive and self conscious version of myself peaked its evil head for the first time. Although that was the moment my eating disorder (which I'll call Ed) took over, it wasn't the only thing that sparked an unhealthy view of myself. Years of comparison, losing a relationship with my father, and the decision to define my worth in the words of other people, collectively lead me to believe that I was fat, unloved, and that the worldly standards of beauty defined me. For the next 8+ years, Ed defined me. Above my relationships with people, and above my relationship with the Lord, Ed was most important thing in my life. When I firs

How donating my kidney saved my life.

For good news to be good, it has to invade dark places." - Matt Chandler August 9th, 2016.  As they wheeled me through the double doors and into the operating room, I remember pure joy radiating throughout my body. I was not nervous, I was not afraid. The Lord had given me a peace beyond understanding and I smiled as the anesthesia took a toll on me and I drifted to sleep. Some hours later. My eyes pop open and I look around. The nurse pushes something into my IV that she says will help with the pain, but I don't feel any pain. I'm in a big open room with lots of medical supplies. I look to the right and I see a man in bed. And then I remember. I use every ounce of strength in me to mutter the question, "does he have my kidney?". The nurse smiles and says "yes" as my eyelids fall heavy and the dilaudid sets in. I wake up again. My mom is in the room. I have no idea what she's saying to me because all I can think about is the man that ha