Skip to main content

My God is so good.

You know those moments in your life where you expect to have a really really hard time with something and then out of nowhere God gives you the strength and things turn out rewarding and quite manageable? I am thankful to say that's how my last month in Costa Rica is turning out so far. I arrived to this smaller town of Cartago, the first capital of Costa Rica, on Monday morning at 8:30am. I remember sitting in front of Colegio de San Luis Gonzaga (a high school) realizing that I was about to go home with the next stranger that knew my name. I didn't really think that things could get any better than the last few months were, so I came with no expectations.

My family is absolutely one of the biggest blessings I have received since I got to Costa Rica. I say the same thing about my last host family. They have both been so wonderful, and are %100 different. My family here consists of my parents (50is), 3 daughters, Jocelyn (26), Marian (23) and Andre (18), and Jocelyn's daughter Fovian (22 months). I have never known a family that was closer to each other. It's one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of. I could go on and on about them. Seriously. I am blessed. 

I started working at the orphanage on Wednesday. Orphanages here aren't what you think of when you think of orphanages in the States. Costa Rica doesn't have a foster care system. Instead, they have large houses that house anywhere from 15-25ish kids. This is where the kids that don't have parents, or are taken from their house for any reason go. It's literally just a really large house. There are two workers that work 24 hours a day for 11 days and then get 3 days off. There are also 2 workers that work 8 hour days.  So anyways, every day from 8:30-4 I play with the kids. The oldest one there right now is 9, and most of them are between 3 and 5. They are precious and beautiful and my heart breaks for every single one of them. There are some that cry about everything. There are a few that hit and throw things every time something doesn't go there way. There's even one that finds pleasure in getting the little ones to come up and hit me. But I can't get mad at them. I just can't. Once you've sat and listened to a child tell you how their dad has hit them with his pistol, or how two of their siblings died and they don't know why, or you look at the things they do and undoubtedly know they are a result of sexual abuse, you can't do anything but love them. 
There have also been those incredible moments where they've run up to me and hugged me yelling "Elena". (My nickname here). It makes everything worth it. 
I think one of the hardest parts comes on the days it's cold. The orphanage is really lacking clothing for the winter and the kids often run around in summer clothing. There's also practically nothing for the kids to play with. The government doesn't pay for the orphanage to buy toys. Thankfully my sweet family here is getting clothing donations for the kids. I'm definitely going to be buying them some toys before I leave. If you have been following my blog and would like to help these kids have something to do all day, hit me up. Adsettles@yahoo.com

It's getting harder and harder to blog. I think it's because my brain is just so full. I can hardly process anything at all. With that said, here are some of my favorite or most memorable moments so far. 

-- One of the little ones looked at his brother and said he wanted to go home. The niño replied with "Estamos en Pani y hay nada podemos hacer." (We are in Pani and there is nothing we can do about it.) Gosh that broke my heart.

--I found a machine that only had the banana runts. #winning.

--My family and I all laid in bed watching television and talking for almost 2 hours the other night. (:

--Their form of exercising is dancing. I have to salsa and sometimes belly dance for an hour every night. Y'all. That's literally the most uncomfortable thing you could make me do. I've definitely been learning humility this week.

--Today at work, one of the little ones asked me something and I didn't understand what they said... So I replied with a yes. They then proceeded to try and pee behind the couch. Whoops.

Thanksgiving is soon. I actually didn't know how soon until today. Costa Rica obviously doesn't celebrate it, so that day is probably going to be tough for me. Prayers appreciated.

I think God is preparing my heart to come home. I'm not quite ready yet, but I have a feeling by the end of this I'm be pretty stoked. Thank you to all the friends (old and new) that have sent me encouraging messages. You've all made my time here so much easier. Seriously. Thank you. 


Cartago, Costa Rica.

The Orphanage or "Pani"

My tica sis Andre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God Destroys Your White Picket Fence Plan...

I'm sitting at Starbucks drinking a salted caramel mocha, reading Philippians and watching the rain trickle down the perfectly large windows. Today is my favorite kind of day and although I have a million things to do, none of them seem quite as important as taking time out of my day to be at peace.  But i'm not quite at peace. At least, not at peace in the way I thought I would be.  Allow me to explain. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have told you with overwhelming excitement that after I graduate college in December I will be working as a Social Worker. Although I'm usually the type to be extremely indecisive, this plan sort of fell into my lap and it seemed perfect and beautiful and I had no reason at all to question it. But who am I trying to kid here...? If you know me at all you know that I am still indecisive and I never make a decision without considering at least 7 other options. So naturally, just as I was starting to feel comfortable w

I'm donating a kidney to celebrate recovering from an eating disorder.

I remember the first time I decided I was fat. I was sitting in theater class in 9th grade and one of my classmates told me to hold my arm out in front of my body. When I did, they hit the skin under my upper arm and laughed as they watched it jiggle. In that moment, I gained 50 pounds. That 5'3 110 pound high school freshman died, and a hypersensitive and self conscious version of myself peaked its evil head for the first time. Although that was the moment my eating disorder (which I'll call Ed) took over, it wasn't the only thing that sparked an unhealthy view of myself. Years of comparison, losing a relationship with my father, and the decision to define my worth in the words of other people, collectively lead me to believe that I was fat, unloved, and that the worldly standards of beauty defined me. For the next 8+ years, Ed defined me. Above my relationships with people, and above my relationship with the Lord, Ed was most important thing in my life. When I firs

How donating my kidney saved my life.

For good news to be good, it has to invade dark places." - Matt Chandler August 9th, 2016.  As they wheeled me through the double doors and into the operating room, I remember pure joy radiating throughout my body. I was not nervous, I was not afraid. The Lord had given me a peace beyond understanding and I smiled as the anesthesia took a toll on me and I drifted to sleep. Some hours later. My eyes pop open and I look around. The nurse pushes something into my IV that she says will help with the pain, but I don't feel any pain. I'm in a big open room with lots of medical supplies. I look to the right and I see a man in bed. And then I remember. I use every ounce of strength in me to mutter the question, "does he have my kidney?". The nurse smiles and says "yes" as my eyelids fall heavy and the dilaudid sets in. I wake up again. My mom is in the room. I have no idea what she's saying to me because all I can think about is the man that ha